Environ Sci Ind J, Volume: 14( 6)
Smart Sustainability Model for Environment and Related Issues
- Anup Bagla, Department of Environment, Energy and Sustainability, Institution of Engineers and Chartered Engineer, India, Tel: +91-9391649494; E-Mail: [email protected]
Received: November 26, 2018; Accepted: November 27, 2018; Published: December 4, 2018
Citation: Anup B. Smart Sustainability Model for Environment and Related Issues. Environ Sci Ind J. 2018;14(6):e174.
AbstractWhen and where the mind is without fear and the head is held high-where the knowledge is free, where the world is not divided in narrow domestic walls, where the clear stream of reason has not found its way into dreary desert sand of dead habits. And where the tireless striving stretches its arms towards perfection-into that heaven of freedom, my Father let my countrymen/world-citizen awake. And this will bring environmental friendly ecology/eco-system and sustainable development-if there is Oneness, love, acceptance, respect and tolerance for each other, the sum total of resources on earth are sufficient for everyone's existence. Material poverty originates from the poverty of these virtues-which leads to non-sustainable and non-environmental friendly lope-sided narrow and self-oriented vertical developmental initiatives, leading to social asymmetry, friction and chaos and other natural disasters.
When and where the mind is without fear and the head is held high - where the knowledge is free, where the world is not divided in narrow domestic walls, where the clear stream of reason has not found its way into dreary desert sand of dead habits. And where the tireless striving stretches its arms towards perfection - into that heaven of freedom, my Father let my countrymen / world-citizen awake ? Thus wrote Poet Laureate R N Tagore in his poetry writings [In my experience of more than 40+ years, It is sad that this attitude is largely missing especially in private, public and other organizations in the name of maximizing the profits (or developmental concern) ignoring the larger ecological / sustainable concerns].
And this will bring environmental friendly ecology/eco-system and sustainable development-if there is Oneness, love, acceptance, respect and tolerance for each other, the sum total of resources on earth are sufficient for everyone's existence. Material poverty originates from the poverty of these virtues-which leads to non-sustainable and non-environmental friendly lope-sided narrow and self-oriented vertical developmental initiatives, leading to social asymmetry, friction and chaos and other natural disasters.
Let no one trespass anyone's circle of individual rights and freedom and associated responsibilities -else nature will unleash gigantic energy of astronomical proportion to create another big bang devouring and decimating everything into black holes and which will be creation /regeneration of new world order in line with eco-friendly sustainable development.
Proposal for Center for Sustainable Development in Asia-Pacific on the lines of IISD-'Development' model, needs to be 'leading from the front'/with attitude of excellence and lifelong learning attitude.
Smart sustainability model
I feel to make it more holistic with connectivity of natural resources at all levels of consumption and the impact of the way it is used or consumed (Input → processing → output), encompassing all the elements of our society, economy and natural-environmental aspects-there is a need for balanced 'Growth and Development' optimizing the use of resources to maintain balance between the user and the need it is fulfilling or satisfying and at the same time the impact it is making on the society at large and larger environment/Universe and here comes the concept of 'Sustainable Development .
(In my experience of more than 40+ years, It is sad that this attitude is largely missing especially in private, public and other organizations in the name of maximizing the profits (or developmental concern) ignoring the larger ecological/sustainable concerns .)
We have to use natural and all the other resources including money and material/physical facilities properly (with discrimination and not indiscriminately) to make people/relationships or create mutually fulfilling-satisfying relationships and continuous happiness, harmony and peace for each other and also with rest of nature, as we are all interconnected, interdependent and related at all levels of existence → in co-existence.! And not use or exploit natural and other resources including human resource to make or create more and more so called wealth for few in the name of development;
Most of the time in today’s world as per my experience-people in general use people/relationships to make/create money or material/physical facilities without bothering about making or creating mutually satisfying-fulfilling relationship for mutual happiness or harmony and this cannot bring peace, continuous happiness and harmony-balance; we have to create or make mutually satisfying-fulfilling relationship for mutual happiness or harmony by properly using material, natural resources, money etc.
Therefore, Energy Conservation concerns, use and promotion of renewable energy (non-conventional) and removal of bottlenecks in implementation with case studies, recycle and optimization of processes can be one set of theme
The other can be Environmental Concerns with case studies and Safety Aspects in different sectors with direction for future possibilities along with development of future strategies for innovative work culture and practices for EMP/EIA and plan for assessment of past and on-going practices in various sectors.
- Ashraf G. Heterologous expression of stress-responsive DUF538 domain containing protein and its morpho-biochemical consequences. Plant J. 2011;30(5):351-8.
- Takahashi S, Yoshikawa M, Kamada A, et al. The photoconvertible water-soluble chlorophyll-binding protein of Chenopodium album is a member of DUF538, a superfamily that distributes in Embryophyta. J Plant Physiol. 2013;170(17):1549-52.
- Ashraf G, Kohnehrouz SB.Identification ofDUF538cDNA clone from Celosia cristata expressed sequences of nonstressed and stressed leaves. RussJPlant Physiol. 2010;57(2):247-52.
- Nakagami H, Sugiyama N, Mochida K, et al. Large-scale comparative phosphoproteomics identifies conserved phosphorylation sites in plants. Plant Physiol. 2010;153(3):1161-74.
- Ashraf G, Kohnehrouz SB. ProtJ.2013;32:163.
- Ashraf G.Prediction of tertiary structure homology between bactericidal/permeability increasing protein of innate immune system and hydrolase enzymes. IntJBiosci. 2014;5(2):1-6.
- Ausubel FM, Brent R, Kingston RE, Moore DD, Seiolman JG, Smith JA, et al. Current Protocols in Molecular Biology. New York: John Wiley & Sons; 1991.
- Livak KJ, Schmittgen TD. Analysis of relative gene expression data using real-time quantitative PCR and the 2−ΔΔCT method. Methods. 2001;25(4):402-8.
- Rabbani MA, Maruyama M, Abe H, et al. Monitoring expression profiles of rice genes under cold, drought, and high-salinity stresses and abscisic acid application using cDNA microarray and RNA gel-blot analyses. Plant physiol. 2003;133(4):1755-67.
- Shinozaki K, Yamaguchi SK, Seki M, et al. Regulatory network of gene expression in the drought and cold stress responses.CurrOpinPlant Biol. 2003;6(5):410-7.
- Shinozaki K, Yamaguchi SK. Gene networks involved in drought stress response and tolerance. JExpBot. 2007;58(2):221-7.
- Yamaguchi SK, Shinozaki K. Organization of cis-acting regulatory elements in osmotic- and cold-stress-responsive promoters. Trends Plant Sci. 2005;10(2):88-94.
- Bartels D, Sunkars R. Drought and Salt Tolerance in Plants. CritRevPlant Sci. 2005;24(1):23-58.
- Seki M, Narusaka M, Abe H, et al. Monitoring the expression pattern of 1300 Arabidopsis genes under drought and cold stresses by using a full-length cDNA microarray. Plant Cell. 2001;13(1):61-72.
- Schimid M, Davison TS, Hens SR, et al. A gene expression map of Arabidopsis thaliana development. NatGenet. 2005;37(5):501-6.